The ABS is a microprocessor-controlled Ball-on-Cylinder wear test system which provides a fast, repeatable assessment of the performance of jet fuels that fully conforms to the ASTM D5001 test method for “Measurement of Lubricity of Aviation Turbine Fuels by the Ball-on-Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator”.
The ABS comprises a single, compact, bench top mounted unit. The only external services required are compressed air to the specification in ASTM D5001 and 100-230V mains power. The internal de-ionised water reservoir requires refilling after approximately 1000 tests. An air cleaner/dryer is available which can clean and de-humidify normal laboratory or shop air to meet the requirements of the ASTM standard (<0.1 ppm hydrocarbon).
The standard test uses a ½“ diameter ball on rotating ring test geometry. The method calls for the precise control of the humidity and temperature of a conditioned air stream used to pre-condition the fuel sample to be tested. The ABS incorporates a microprocessor controller that controls all aspects of the test. The operator simply has to fit cleaned specimens in the instrument, add the fuel sample to be tested and then press the “Start” button. The remainder of the test sequence including humidity and temperature control, pre-conditioning of the fuel, load application and test timing are all carried out without further intervention. All specified test parameters are monitored and controlled during the test. Several internal system checks are also made, alerting the user to conditions such as low air pressure, low water level etc.
- ASTM D5001- Standard Test Method for Measurement of Lubricity of Aviation Turbine
Fuels by the Ball-on-Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator (BOCLE)
- The PCS Automated BOCLE System (ABS) is included in the D5001 ASTM specification.
- Simple to use interface -microprocessor control of all instrument functions.
- Standard ASTM D5001 test sequence pre-loaded into ABS microprocessor controller - operator fits cleaned specimens, adds fuel sample and presses the ‘Start Test’ button.
- Automatic control of test sequence - no operator-induced variability in test results
- Automatic flow controllers for moist and dry air - no operator input required to control the humidity and flow rate of the conditioned air.
- Optional PC-based data logging software - allows test data to be recorded as a permanent record (available for both D5001 and D6078).
- Interchangeable humidity and temperature probes - humidity and temperature measurement does not need to be re-calibrated - simply replace the combined relative humidity and temperature probe with an exchange pre-calibrated unit.
- PCS manufactures the test rings - single source supplier of test rig and specimens leads to higher quality control.
System and Requirements
A typical ABS system is supplied with the items as illustrated below, any additional products that are required for the test method are sold separately.