The MTM2 software is supplied with the instrument. The MTM2 is operated from a supplied PC using a standard desktop system running Windows 7. This is connected to the MTM2 system using RS232 (serial connection).
Starting the software
Once the PC has been logged on, then the MTM2 can be switched on. Switch the system on by switching the green button on the left hand side of the rig so that it becomes illuminated. The LED's on the front of the MTM will illuminate to show that the machine is initialised. The MTM2 software can then be opened. After the system has performed the self test, the main test window will appear.
After the MTM2 has been setup for a test the 'Lower Ball icon' must be selected. This will lower the ball into the test chamber. When movement of ball drive has stopped, replace inner and outer cover of lubricant reservoir and swing locking arm round and locate over the covers. The 'New Test' icon will not be active until the locking arm is in place. There is no further user interaction with the mechanical unit until after the test is completed. The user now selects 'New Test' from the menu options and then enters the following details:
- Profile Name – click the Browse button and select the profile required for the test. (See Chapter 6 for more information on the profile generator ) – required.
- Description – Automatically filled in from the profile type.
- Output File – choose a test name (you can browse the test names and select different directories if required.) – required.
- Lubricant – Enter the lubricant name if required (this will be displayed in the data file after the test) – optional.
- Notes – Add any comments if required (these will be displayed in the data file after the test) – optional.
After setting this information, the test is ready to begin.
Once all the appropriate fields have been completed it only remains to ensure that the cooler unit is switched on (if one is present) and then click the Start button on the software. The software will use the designated profile entered on the screen and after you have confirmed the message box that appears, the test will begin. It will automatically log data points and display them on the screen on the graph. The graph displays the current test data only and is cleared at the beginning of a new test.
MTM2 New test setup
Once the test is finished the MTM will autocool (if the autocool option is checked) and allow the user access to the Mechanical Unit. The locking arm can be moved off and away from the covers. The covers can be removed and the ball raised (by clicking on the 'Raise Ball' button). Dismantling of the specimens is the reversal of assembly.